Monday, February 14, 2011

Santiago Summer




















Five months in.

January began my training for the Assistant Director of Operations position so I only went to the Jardín once a week, up until it closed for the summer. Ive been missing my kids a lot and looking forward to March when the Jardín opens again for the new school year.

Training has been intense because there´s so much to learn, about all our programs (which I´ll be in charge of), about the selection and recruitment process (also of which I´ll be responsible), and lots more about volunteer responsibilities, general operations tasks, finances, etc.

Now that February has arrived, I´ve finished my training and am doing my best to stay on top of my many tasks and responsibilities. My days in the office pass very quickly with a million emails to answer and send (in English and Spanish), institution visits, staff meeeting, long lunches where we all cook and eat together, phone calls, reports to read and write, and more. It's an office job, but a dynamic and relaxing one. "Muy piola" as we say here in chile to mean "super chill".

One event I had the privilege to help organize was a repair day at my very own Jardín, hence the fun pictures above. VE collaborates with a Chilean organization called the Austral Group, that organizes activities for business students who travel to Chile for an international perspective on business, or something like that. We provide the day of service, of course.

We had 30 New Zealand students working on their Masters in Business, come to the Jardín to paint the inside and outside, shelves, do some general repairs and paint a sign out front and a mural in one of the main rooms.

Annie (the director of resource developement), Josh (our ED) and I (the one and only Jardin volunteer!) did a lot of preparation and planning to be as organized as possible for the day. Still, there were things we forgot or didn't calculate correctly so things were not perfect, but they were incredible even so.

Annie and Josh went ahead to call it the most successful repair day we've ever had. The students seemed so happy to be there, they were coming up with their own projects, fixing toilets, playing with the few kids who showed up, they brought bags full of donations and gave a small monetary donation to VE. And the mural and sign on the front wall of the Jardín turned out incredible as you can see in the pictures!

Tía Luz, the head tía at the Jardín, cried when she arrived and she saw the incredible work that was happening. "We would not be able to realize these necessary changes and improvements to the Jardin if it wern't for groups like you all. I don't have words to express how grateful I am" she exclaimed in fast Spanish that Josh quickly translated for everyone to understand.

It was especially incredible for me to experience because I've spent 30 hours there every week for my first four months here. To see the transformation that took place, from the dingy, dirty, barely-held-together Jardín, to a shining, clean and incredibly sweet looking one, was incredibly special.

I don´t need to say anymore because the pictures do more justice to the work that was done than my words could ever do (Thanks Aunt Diana for a great camera to take all these photos!).

In other Chile news, there've been a few earthquakes in the South, but nothing that I ever feel here in Santiago. So, you don't have to worry about me when you hear about the quakes on the news!

There's a Santiago full and half marathon on April 2nd that a bunch of us VE-ers are going to participate in. I'm going to run the half (did you think I was crazy there for a moment or something?). I've started training, trying to run about five days a week (but not always succeeding), throwing in a little strengthening here and there, and running a long run once a week, adding an extra mile each time.

I´m up to 8 miles and most training plans tell you to stop at 10, so I'm taking it easy, not getting down on myself if I miss a day or two of running as I've still got a month and some to go. It feels really good to set a goal for myself that is hard enough that I'll really have to work for it but not completely out of my reach. I´ll keep you all updated on how this goes.

I've also started riding my roommates bicycle which makes me incredibly happy (as I´m sure you can imagine). Riding a bike is a little like making art for me. I could be in a really bad mood, be sad or upset about something, but the minute I'm on that bike (instead of being on the hot, crowded metro or bus) with the wind blowing through my hair, passing people and traveling at a perfect pace, I am suddenly transfered to a world where nothing is ever wrong. It´s the best therapy ever for me and makes my life here in this big city, more enjoyable than ever.

I'll even save some money by not using public transportation. So, thanks to Jorge, my roomate, for buying a wonderful cruizer bicycle that he never rides and lets me ride instead!

I have been taking an hour or so bus ride to the beach these past few weekends, to Vina del Mar one of the most popular beaches outside Santiago. I really enjoy the hot city weather, and cool evenings but its always a nice break to get away for the weekend and spend the days lying on the beach slathered in suntan lotion and eating artesanal sorbet that come in flavors like naranja- gingibre (orange-ginger) and frambuesa-menta (rasberry-mint), to name a few of my favorites.

Nest weekend I plan on going camping at the best surf beach in Chile, Pichulemu, with a few friends. The plan is to get as much beach time in as possible before March and fall arrives in Santiago. Leaves are already beginning to fall...

As always, thank for reading and please do drop me a line to let me know how your doing!

Nos Vemos,

Fey


1 comment:

  1. Love the new paint job and great energy you are attracting to VE and the Jardin.
    thanks for the update.

    ReplyDelete